Maybe you are new to an already established science fiction campaign or just want to learn about the setting through play.
Roll a d10 and a d6 (or if you see something you like, pick it)
1.cryo sleep, disease that was killing you now cured via science.
- The Big C
- Xeno Virus
- Mental Void Syndrome
- Implants went sour now removable
- Science test subject went wrong
- Frozen in midst of traumatic brain injury that is now repairable
- Data theft
- Black Market Sales
- Ship theft
- Illegal Science Infraction
3. a term in military service.
- Corporate Mercs
- Terran Drop Ship Marine
- Terran Insurgent Agent
- Local Planetary Orbit Guard
- Local Planetary Assault Force
- Marine on Capital Ship
4. cryo sleep, after a long stint in an out of date generation ship.
- Cult heading for a “holy star”
- You left for this system as science found a faster way
- Ship was damaged and adrift, never arrived at destination
- AI dropped your pods on a moon and left
- Exiled from colony
- Ship was destroyed when it drifted into the battlegrounds of an interstellar war
5. past decade of memory was wiped.
- Psychic blast
- State of the art weapon
- Xeno-contact side-effect
- Wiped as part of a judicial sentence to protect corporate intellectual property
- You have no idea
6. returned from long FTL trip.
- Blue collar void-work
- Colonial Marine
- Refugee from fallen colony
- Pilgrim back from visiting holy sites
- Terran Agent back from Olde Earth
- Science Vessel Lab Tech
7. left isolated low tech enclave.
- Religious Community (new space religion)
- Artistic Community
- Punitive Community for past generation’s aggression
- Philosophical Enclave (this is how humans were meant to grow strong)
- Colony recovering from technological apocalypse
- Crashed capital ship just rescued after decades
8. clone awakened after memory download mishap.
- You used to be rich and this was your insurance policy at work
- Military download during an attack
- Auto accident
- Warp core in your ship went critical
- You tried a new, untested venue towards immortality
- Memory slowly degraded after last download, need a fix before long term memory fades away again
9. possessed by non-human entity.
- Cutting edge AI trying out flesh
- Benign alien entered mind at moment of death
- Alien took over human not realizing it was theft
- Alien virus took over brain and learned empathy
- Alien inserted into human sleeve as forward agent before invasion
- Symbiosis via consent with alien intelligence has created this new being
10. past job took you out of touch with day to day reality.
- Pop star or pop star adjacent
- Highly paid athlete
- Successful fully embedded virtual reality MMO player
- Scientist studying distant astronomical event
- Embedded anthropologist
- Volunteer aid worker on low tech level world